Sunday, October 8, 2017

Acheulean Forests Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

A: Well it is a solo fantasy/folk ambient/dungeon synth project of mine that is steeped deep in the lore of faeries and enchanted forests.
The music is a lot of the time is somewhat more folkish and whimsical but can also be dark moody and atmospheric.

2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?

A: Lots of Folk like melodies. I like to have a bright Whimsical and or "Puckish" (as some have deemed it! haha)
But also it can be very melancholic and atmospheric and or dark sounding and moody. Waltzing melodies, lots of bells and flutes.
I also love incorporating deep reverbing keys.

3.The song themes deal a lot with Celtic Fairy Lore and Folk Tales, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?

A: I'm an Escapist and a Fantasist. I also have a deep and passionate love for Nature. I've always loved Celtic Lore and Culture since I was young.
I always felt as though the mythology has a a lot of elements and themes I deem desirable and personally relate too.
I am not a greatly into focusing on the realm of our immediate reality. I want my music to get to those who feel like me and want to escape somewhere magical and beautiful. It's really music for the hardcore fantasists out there. I absolutely 100% believe in faeries and unseen folk who dwell deep within the heart of the forests.

4.So far most of the music has been instrumental are you open to using any vocals in the future?

A: I may, there are a few older songs like on the "Dreams of Forests" release that have vocals.
there is also another song I'm working on for a split that is supposed to feature some spoken word.
Hopefully I may do more in the future.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Acheulean Forests'?

A: Honestly, in the beginning I wanted the music to focus on Nature and Ancient Cultures (sometimes even prehistoric)
I was watching a documentary and there was a stone cultured mentioned called "Acheulean" and I thought the word sounded beautiful. So I wanted something ancient but I wanted to also incorporate "Forests" in there.

6.On the albums you record everything by yourself, do you feel this gives you more room to be creative with your musical sound?

A: Yes, when I can record everything by myself on my own time it's definitely more convenient.
I play Black Metal as well and sometimes when with a band and recording with other people and a producer I can get fairly annoyed by the demands of everything having to sound a very specific way and your also on a engineers time in the studio and it is a lot more of the time starts to feel rushed and or uninspiring. I like to produce my music how I want it to sound.

7.Since 2016 you have released a great amount of material, do you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?

A: A lot of the early material was pre-written and then recorded in a studio. (Dreams of Forests release was all studio recordings)
But, at the time I didn't have any other way or means to record at the time except for studio. I finally saved up my money and got a laptop and new keyboard and began going back to independently recording all my music at home in privacy. But, I usually only record when I'm feeling inspired.
I spend a lot of time hiking in the woods and reading old folklore books (a lot of the time old European folklore) and or watching old fairy tale movies from the early 50's. These things make for great inspiration and when I have an idea I go set up my little makeshift studio and begin recording.


8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of dungeon synth?

A: So far nothing but positivity and encouragement. I really love Dungeon Synth and The community surrounding this music
I'm extremely excited to keep making more music and sharing it with like minded people who also enjoy this form of fantasy music.


9.Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects?

A: Yes I have a solo Atmospheric Black Metal project called "Goatswarth"
I'm also involved in a project with my long time friend and the name of our  Experimental Black Metal band is called "Born an Abomination" I do vocals in that.
I do keyboards in a Black Metal band called "Terranaut"
I also have a Folk Ambient/Neo-Folk solo project called "Trollkjerring as well.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

A: I just want to keep recording and playing music as much as I can. I also just want to more importantly keep making Pure Fantasist music that creates an avenue for everyone who are escapists and or are people heavily in touch with nature and the spirits of the woods.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

A: my main inspirations I'd say at least for this kind of music has been Cernunnos Woods (U.S.), Cernunnos (GR), Wind/Varjosielu (FIN),
Daoine Sidhe (FR), Elfen (GR), Voices of Winds (FIN). Those are some of my very absolute favorites and biggest inspirations.

I've been listening to a lot of classical music music lately and renaissance music aswell as Celtic Folk music and New Age and of course Black Metal
Some of my favorite artists I've been listening to a lot probably has to be Enya, Clannad, Osgiliath, Tom Newman, Nuit Noire, Hin Onde, Goatmoon,
Pete Johansen (Former violinist of The Sins of Thy Beloved and Tristania)

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

A: Hiking, Camping, Reading, Drinking Whiskey

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for having me. Also thank you to all the supporters of Acheulean Forests! Lots of new music coming soon!

Yr ysbryd pf yn y goedwig hud yn dragwyddol!

Hir yn byw y tylwyth teg!

https://6acheuleanforests6.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment