Thursday, December 18, 2014

Opium Dream Estate Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new ep ?

I am currently recording a new single with will be out in early 2015. With more dark and gothic rock influences and my new album, which sounds, will be a kind of mix of all I released this year, gothic, neofolk, dark blues….

2. Recently you have released a new ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff that you have released in the past ?

The new ep, Shades, has a quiet but loud sound. Like a scream in a whisper. I tried to mix neofolk music with my “new influences and sounds” - something I already did though with the two previous releases, though the lyrical themes are more personal in “Shades” that in my other releases.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music ?

The most common topics and subjects I explored are death, love and madness… I also find inspiration in art, books and everyday life. In the last ep, the topics are lovelorn and sadness.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Opium Dream Estate’ ?

There are different meaning and inspiration. The very first one is from my favourite writer, Edgar Allan Poe’s poetry in which he sometimes wrote about opium dreams. I added “Estate”, to mix something that you can’t handle “opium dream” with something real, “Estate”. And when you pick every initial of each word, it makes ODE, which is my favourite form of poetry.

5. Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project ?

I have. I started playing my songs when I lived in England, in Brighton. But I really have started playing real live shows for 2 years. I mostly played in Paris but I also in other cities in France and was on a small European tour in last September which led me to the south of France, Switzerland and England. I plan to do another European tour and maybe play in the US, with a talented and very good friend, Autumn Shade.

6. On the ep you did covers of both Black Sabbath and Fields Of The Nephilim, what was the decision behind doing your own versions of these songs ?

I am a big fan of Fields of the Nephilim, one of my favourite band ever and a great influence on my music. I played “Celebrate” live, and some people and friends told me that I should record my own version so I did it. As for the Black Sabbath cover, “Solitude”, when I first listened to the song, I was a kid and I was very touched by the song. I recorded different versions but I never was fully satisfied by them. For some personal reasons, I decided to record it again and that was the good one. Normally the song was not mean to be on any ep or single, but people liked it and I felt the lyrical topic and sound of the song fit well the atmosphere of the ep and of the four other songs so I included to the ep in the end.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer music by fans of neo-folk and other underground music genres ?

My “newer music, newer sound” has been well received by fans/listeners from the US, Germany, France and England. I also received a nice messages and comments from bands like Karnnos, The Last Hour and Albireon. I know some fans will not like ODE’s new sound but some others will…. Every artist and band know that. And this new sound gave me the opportunity to play in Europe and some in the US asked me come and play there.

8. Are there any other musical projects going on these days that the band members are involved with?

I am also involved in two other projects. The first one is The Funeral Warehouse, an indie and post-punk band. We are three and I sing and play guitar in the band. We released three EPs and we played some gigs. We are currently mixing our new ep. The second one is Vostok Station, a synthpop duo. I play music and a friend, Emily R. sings (in French). We are currently working on our third ep and hope to play our first gig next year. I also was involved in the industrial and experimental rock band, Saison de Rouille, in which I played guitars and keys, but the band’s now on hiatus. We released two LPs.

9. When can we expect another full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future ?

The new album will be out in 2015, and be entitled Some Kinds Of Ghosts. For now the band’s heading into a kind of mix between neofolk, indie rock and blues. Like stuff by Nick Cave, Tom Waits or Wovenhand. And I feel comfortable with that sound on stage. Maybe it would change then for I do not like doing the same thing, release after release.

10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays ?

I’ve been influenced by many band and/or different genres for I like listening almost every kind of music style but, mostly it came form the gothic, neofolk and indie rock scene, with bands like The Cure, VAST, Fields of the Nephilim, Wovenhand/16 Horsepower, The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath A Cloud or Sol Invictus. Another band that greatly influenced me is Autumn Shade. The singer, Jes Leneé is now a close friend. As for nowadays, I’m listening to blues music and bands like Sophie Jamieson, Tom Waits, Nick Cave or Swans and a new band from England called The Murder Act. Great band !!

11. How would you describe your views on occultism ?

I think mine are based on the love and worship of Nature and also influenced by art and literature. I don’t know if I’m right or wrong but I think occultism, I mean today, is a way to stay close to Nature, to know our real place on Earth and, in some kind of way, to stay free from what we call the modern world, full of boundaries and narrow-minded thoughts.


12. What are some of your non musical interests ?


Mostly Art and literature

13. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts ?

Well thank you, it was a pleasure. And merry Xmas !!!

https://www.facebook.com/opiumdreamestate/

No comments:

Post a Comment