Sunday, September 14, 2014

Poisoned By Life Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1. Hello, I'm Vincent, guitarist and songwriter for Poisoned By Life, which is a doom metal trio from Syracuse, New York. It's a small and poor city, and it's usually hard to find people with the same musical ideas as you. This is the first fleshed out project any of us have been a part of, so we made sure to take our time and not sound like amateurs. We didn't want any unacceptable or inappropriate work on our debut, so we made an album that we would be pleased with first and foremost.

2.Recently you have released your first album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
2. The album is a slightly evolved form of traditional doom. There's a clear aim to smoke radar on everyone's metal gauges, but at the same time, having engaging musical developments and atmosphere were also really important. I wanted to incorporate a couple things you don't hear enough of in metal like clean tones and some whispering. I think it's music designed to latch onto metalheads universally more than anything else though.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
3. Many dark things, fear especially. I'm currently not a theist, but I remember being a kid and being awed by concepts such as God and the afterlife. I remember the anxiety of not being in control of your own destiny. There's a certain atmosphere you can tap into when you dwell on the unknown, the future, and the untold, especially when you consider the future could consist of suffering, torment, or bleak emptiness.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Poisoned By Life'?
4. I don't remember the initial moment coming up with it, but the name Poisoned By Life was thought of around a time when a lot of people I knew were either depressed or drinking themselves into depression. I have a friend who's father commit suicide in his childhood, and being told that made me think about the subject for a while. At some point I connected everything and realized that negative approaches people can have usually end up perpetuating their own depression, so much so that people will sacrifice their relationships, their ambitions, and ultimately their lives just because of this spiraling habitual process. It was then that I wrote the lyric: "it wasn't lust or alcohol, you were poisoned by life". I thought the term Poisoned By Life fit so well as a doom band name, so it stuck. It also resonates that unsteadiness that comes with knowing about your own mortality.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
5. Poisoned By Life does not currently perform live.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
6. I expect to one day play shows long into the future. We are all students with busy schedules, and I don't foresee it happening until school is finished for good. By that time though, we may have all gone on our separate ways, so it is likely that the other two members -Sarah and Glendon- will not be a part of the recording process for the next album, and that a live Poisoned By Life would consist of mostly new people.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
7. We are unsigned. I talked to some guy with his own doom/drone/noise label who wanted to do another 50 copies of the album, and the deal was to just let him sell half and give the other half to me, which I was actually okay with, but I just stopped talking to him for some reason. I'm satisfied with the results of my own presses so I'm not looking to do much else.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of doom metal that have heard it so far?
8. Immensely positive. I've shipped copies internationally and to the west coast. The name of the band isn't very big, but the personal addresses to me from fans about the quality of the music mean so much. Considering zero promotion or live performing has been done, I'd say the impact of the music alone is impressive.

9.Are any of the band members involved with any other musical projects?
9. None are, except for me. I finished recording instrumentals for a solo grindcore project called Psychological Regurgitation, which will feature either numerous guest vocalists or another member as a single vocalist. I expect to have everything done by next year, with a release probably early in January. I also have a technical thrash demo under the name Bulletface.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
10. Poisoned By Life will remain doom metal. When we release more music, I expect it to be different though. I can anticipate at least a few segments of heavy doom riffing, but I want it to be more creative and detached from the genre norms.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
11. Serpentcult and Valborg provided very unique inspirations because of their distinct styles, but more well known names like Reverend Bizarre, Warning, Pallbearer and even Electric Wizard made me focus more on traditional doom as a template. I think Celtic Frost's Monotheist deserves a mention, because as a kid it was my favorite album. Along with that, I love the late 90's era Candlemass, which doesn't get nearly enough attention.

My diet today is much lighter. It's all either very jolly alt rock, or very eerie alt rock. You know, stuff ranging from Dino Jr, Mandate of Heaven, and Screaming Females on one side of the spectrum, to Sparklehorse, Dax Riggs, Blood Sun Circle, etc. on the other.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
12. I exercise often, and I read a lot about history. Sarah writes for the school's newspaper. Glen is the weird art friend.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
13. Thanks to all our killer fans! I hope to see much more in the future between us!

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment