Monday, September 1, 2014

Abysmal Growls Of Despair Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Abysmal is a solo project of funeral/drone doom metal from France. With influences like illness, madness, sorrow and despair. No love theme.

2.In August you had released a new album how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from your previous recordings?

In this album I wanted to do something more drone, with deeper sound. But always keep the ambient elements, viola, piano and clean guitars.

3.On the new album, you had a couple of classical pieces mixed in a couple of your songs, can you tell us a little bit more about the decision behind adding this elements into a couple of your songs?

Once I wander on youtube I found a video which mix a song of khanate and Ave Maria. I found this mix so interesting and decide to do same idea on my songs. So I choose tow of my favorites classical songs, Pie Jesu from the Requiem of Gabriel Fauré and Moonlight Sonata from Beethoven.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

I suffer from schizophrenia (since a long time) and my music is done to externalize my pain, hallucinations, and despair. I don't want to do lyrics about love and broken hearts.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name ;Abysmal Growls Of Despair'?

I've heard many critic about this name … But I've wanted to say in one name the despair and the use of deep natural growls.

6.With this project you do everything solo, do you have this helps makes your music sound a lot more creative?

My friend Ben from Modern Funeral Art helps me a lot to become better sound engineer for my records and mixing. And I think I'll ask his help on mastering my future works.

7.Le Crepuscule du Soir Productions and Satanath Records re going to be re-issuing  'Dark Days', can you tell us a little bit more about this release?

Unfortunately there is a problem with the man behind Le Crépuscule Du Soir Production. Satanath records and I have lost the contact with him. We don't know what happened to him. We hope all is ok and wait.
So for the moment there is no date for the release.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of funeral doom metal?

I'm not really known but I think and hope there are more and more people in the time who like my works. And I'm still hope to comment and point of view to do better music in the future.

9.Are you involved with any other musical projects?

Yes, I have a solo project of brutal death metal Ursus Horribilis, and with this one I do also dark folk. I have a solo project of dark ambient Caelum Natus Ex Mortuus with many inspiration and help from my friend Mike.
I'm the growl singer in Ancient Lament, a new project of funeral doom. All the music, ideas and lyrics are by a serbian friend, Borgion Kron from Meskalith. An album will soon be released.
And growl singer and FX with bass player Dymetrodrone Extinct, friend from croatia, band named Morimus Funereus. Dymetrodrone Extinct is involved in many solo project as Dymetrodrone.
And finally I'm bass player, and FX in a very particular project Deth Desbromb, with a french friend. Not on the net yet.

10.According to the fb page you have a new album called 'Lovecraftian Drone' that you are working on, what can we expect musically once the album is released?

In deed, and this new one is done. I search a label which can be interested. It's a heavy drone album, with some little ambient element added. All lyrics are inspired by Lovecraft and there are some quote from his book. The growls change compare to the other album. There are 6 songs for a total of 1h30.
For now you can listen it on my youtube channel. Soon on bandcamp.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Of course lots of funeral doom band. But also many genre of metal, in particular metal extreme. Lots of Neo folk, classical, dark ambient. And also blues, and jazz.
For the bands : Funeralium, Shape Of Despair, too many funeral/drone band, Sunn O))), Vàli, Empyrium, The Gathering, Ufomammut, Denez Prigent, Howard Shore, Sigur Ros, ...

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Nature, books, writing, walks, middle age.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks man for your interest, and all reader and listener.
And thanks my dear psychiatrist, haha ...

Bandcamp
Facebook
SoundCloud


No comments:

Post a Comment